World of Light: Super Smash Bros Ultimate story mode revealed
- A new story mode was revealed at the Super Smash Bros Ultimate Direct event
- Fan favourite character Kirby looks to be at the heart of the World of Light mode
- The Nintendo game will be released on Nintendo Switch on December 7, 2018
At the November 1 Super Smash Bros Ultimate Direct announcement, the creators of the highly-anticipated fighting game revealed a new story mode, World of Light, that would give Avengers: Infinity War’s Thanos a run for his money.
The intro of the trailer for the new story mode revealed all of the Super Smash Bros Ultimate fighters corralling to take on Master Hands.
However, heroes including Mario, Zelda, Sonic and Fox McCloud prove to be no match for the Boss, whose bursts of rainbow light turn all of the fighters into dust.
Almost all of them.
In a reveal that set Twitter alight, just one character was shown left standing after the cataclysmic event—Kirby, the cherubic, pink fan-favourite character who was originally designed as a placeholder.
A new story mode, World of Light, was revealed at the Super Smash Bros Ultimate Direct event
The trailer then shows replicas of all the Super Smash Bros Ultimate fighters being imbued with their corresponding spirits, only for the reanimated versions having sinister, glowing red eyes.
Footage of the gameplay reveals just how important Kirby is to the series and to the story mode. Not only is he the only one to have survived, which led to one Twitter user to describe it as ‘canon’, but he is also the key to freeing all the other 73 fighters, though not before fighting them.
Features hinted at include puzzle tasks, different maps and even skill trees.
The game’s creator, Masahiro Sakurai said that World of Light is ‘nothing like what we came up with for the Subspace Emissary mode’. The main distinction is how World of Light explains Super Smash Bros Ultimate’s other new mode: Spirits.
Spirits Mode replaces the Trophies and allows fighters to power up their abilities using characteristics and features of other Super Smash Bros Ultimate characters. Spirits feature simultaneously in their own mode and features in the story campaign.
World of Light explains how the characters ended up being spirits in the first place.
In Spirits Mode, spirits can interact with the fighter and each other to create different fighting conditions that shift depending on the enemy.
There are primary spirits and support spirits that can mix in numerous combinations. Spirits are won through Spirit Battles that involve a roulette in which players have to snatch them for the fighters.
The trailer for World of Light also featured a new version of the Super Smash Bros Ultimate theme song that has lyrics.
Super Smash Bros Ultimate is out on Nintendo Switch on December 7, 2018.
IN OTHER NEWS...
- Barack Obama's 'Four more years', Ellen's Oscars selfie, World Record Egg and more: The most popular tweets of the last decade
- This is what happens to your body when you start walking to work
- From sloths to $8 million necklaces: Nicest things celebrity husbands have done for their wives
- From carbon budgets and greener cities to the Paris Agreement: What is the UK Government doing to tackle climate change?
- Out of left field! A quarter of Apollo Astronauts were lefties and 13 more amazing facts about left-handed people
- It's all right! Nine things left handed people find impossible to use
- That's owl folks! Celebrate International Owl Awareness Day with these 11 amazing facts about the majestic birds
- What's in a name? The remarkable reason the Queen rejected Princess Beatrice's original moniker
- Amazon Prime Day 2019: The best home deals available today from instant hot pots, Le Creuset, Dyson and more
- Amazon Prime Day 2019: Best deals on video games for Nintendo Switch, PS4 and Xbox One including Mortal Kombat 11 and more
- Amazon Prime Day 2019: The best kids toy and game deals available today including LEGO, Barbie, and Hatchimals
- From Sandra Oh to Jim Carrey: The Canadian stars who have voiced Disney characters
- On your bike! How Canadian cyclist Michael Woods went from breaking running records to riding in the Tour de France
- It's not the national sport, the winters are 'horrific' and ten years ago they had no stars. So just how DID Canada start producing tennis champions-in-waiting?
- Will business be booming for the CEO of Milos Raonic Tennis? The Canadian ace's rise to the top ahead of Wimbledon 2019
- Amazon Prime Day 2019: Dates revealed ahead of massive two-day parade of 'non-stop' deals
- Venus Williams and boyfriend Nicky Hammond 'call it quits after two years of dating'
- Finger lickin' spud! KFC is now offering mashed potato and two more sides, and the fans can't wait to get their hands on it
- Raise the roof! Inventor creates One Foot Taller 'periscope glasses' to help short people see over the crowds at music gigs
- Will Steph Houghton lead her Lionesses to victory at the Women's World Cup? The England captain is ready to make history
Most watched News videos
- Pervert who tried to groom 13-year-old unmasked by paedophile hunters
- Moment teenager leads police on ten minute high speed chase
- Awkward moment Rishi Sunak hotfoots out of interview about Boris
- Huge crowds line the street for Ashling Muphy's funeral
- Ashling Murphy: Mourners line the streets for the murdered teacher
- Watch e-scooter rider reach speeds of 50mph on the A406 in Enfield
- Bridgen: Johnson and Cummings version of events on party contradict
- Lady Victoria Hervey: Epstein was front man, Maxwell was accomplice
- House of Commons reacts to Christian Wakeford crossing the floor
- Emotional Boris denies accusations he lied about lockdown party
- Watch Russian daredevil smash through van window at 50mph
- Moment pair of thrill-seeking base jump from 3280ft high cliff
No comments have so far been submitted. Why not be the first to send us your thoughts, or debate this issue live on our message boards.
We are no longer accepting comments on this article.