PlayStation Classic: New games, release date, price and more
- PlayStation is releasing a modern version of its iconic PlayStation One console
- The original 90s games console became the first to sell 100M units worldwide
- PlayStation Classic will be preloaded with 20 iconic games including Tekken 3
In the world dominated by the need to have the latest technological gadgets, PlayStation is kicking it old school by releasing a smaller version of the iconic PlayStation One games console that will come with 20 retro games.
The company is taking a leaf out of Nintendo’s book, which released the NES Classic console, a revamp of its 1980s Nintendo Entertainment System, in 2016 and relaunched again in June 2018.
The NES Classic, which featured games including Mega Man 2, Donkey Kong and Castlevania, was so popular following its 2018 relaunch that it actually outsold all the other major games consoles in June including PlayStation 4, XBox One and Nintendo Switch.
The original PlayStation One became the first games console to sell 100 million units worldwide.
Here is all you need to know about the new PlayStation Classic including what is it, when will it be released, how much will it cost and what games can you play on it.
PlayStation is releasing a modern version of its iconic 1990s PlayStation One games console
When will PlayStation Classic be released?
The PlayStation Classic will be released worldwide on December 3, 2018. The release date is not without meaning.
The original PlayStation One was released on December 3, 1994 and so the Classic is released on its 24th anniversary.
How much will it cost?
In the US, the console will set you back $99.99, while in the UK it will cost £89.99.
Pre-order the PlayStation Classic
What games are pre-loaded on it?
PlayStation has now announced the full 20-strong list of games that will come preloaded on the console. These are:
- Battle Arena Toshinden
- Cool Boarders 2
- Destruction Derby
- Final Fantasy VII
- Grand Theft Auto
- Intelligent Qube
- Jumping Flash!
- Metal Gear Solid
- Mr. Driller
- Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee
- Resident Evil Director’s Cut
- Revelations: Persona
- Ridge Racer Type 4
- Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
- Syphon Filter
- Tekken 3
- Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six
- Twisted Metal
- Wild Arms
How big is the PlayStation Classic console?
The retro console is 45 percent smaller than the original and can be easily carried in one hand.
PlayStation Classic comes with two controllers that are replicas of the PlayStation One ones
What’s in the box?
The PlayStation Classic comes with two normal-sized controllers, replicas of PS1, and has an HMDI slot, meaning the console can be connected to your TVs.
The console is smaller in part because it doesn’t require a CD drive, with all the games appearing on a software database inside it.
The open button on the console will flick between games and progress is saved on virtual memory cards.
IN OTHER NEWS...
- Barack Obama's 'Four more years', Ellen's Oscars selfie, World Record Egg and more: The most popular tweets of the last decade
- This is what happens to your body when you start walking to work
- From sloths to $8 million necklaces: Nicest things celebrity husbands have done for their wives
- From carbon budgets and greener cities to the Paris Agreement: What is the UK Government doing to tackle climate change?
- Out of left field! A quarter of Apollo Astronauts were lefties and 13 more amazing facts about left-handed people
- It's all right! Nine things left handed people find impossible to use
- That's owl folks! Celebrate International Owl Awareness Day with these 11 amazing facts about the majestic birds
- What's in a name? The remarkable reason the Queen rejected Princess Beatrice's original moniker
- Amazon Prime Day 2019: The best home deals available today from instant hot pots, Le Creuset, Dyson and more
- Amazon Prime Day 2019: Best deals on video games for Nintendo Switch, PS4 and Xbox One including Mortal Kombat 11 and more
- Amazon Prime Day 2019: The best kids toy and game deals available today including LEGO, Barbie, and Hatchimals
- From Sandra Oh to Jim Carrey: The Canadian stars who have voiced Disney characters
- On your bike! How Canadian cyclist Michael Woods went from breaking running records to riding in the Tour de France
- It's not the national sport, the winters are 'horrific' and ten years ago they had no stars. So just how DID Canada start producing tennis champions-in-waiting?
- Will business be booming for the CEO of Milos Raonic Tennis? The Canadian ace's rise to the top ahead of Wimbledon 2019
- Amazon Prime Day 2019: Dates revealed ahead of massive two-day parade of 'non-stop' deals
- Venus Williams and boyfriend Nicky Hammond 'call it quits after two years of dating'
- Finger lickin' spud! KFC is now offering mashed potato and two more sides, and the fans can't wait to get their hands on it
- Raise the roof! Inventor creates One Foot Taller 'periscope glasses' to help short people see over the crowds at music gigs
- Will Steph Houghton lead her Lionesses to victory at the Women's World Cup? The England captain is ready to make history
Most watched News videos
- Pervert who tried to groom 13-year-old unmasked by paedophile hunters
- Defence Minister: Russia and Belarus combining for military drills
- Watch e-scooter rider reach speeds of 50mph on the A406 in Enfield
- Awkward moment Rishi Sunak hotfoots out of interview about Boris
- Huge crowds line the street for Ashling Muphy's funeral
- Ashling Murphy: Mourners line the streets for the murdered teacher
- Bridgen: Johnson and Cummings version of events on party contradict
- Lady Victoria Hervey: Epstein was front man, Maxwell was accomplice
- House of Commons reacts to Christian Wakeford crossing the floor
- Emotional Boris denies accusations he lied about lockdown party
- Watch Russian daredevil smash through van window at 50mph
- Moment pair of thrill-seeking base jump from 3280ft high cliff
No comments have so far been submitted. Why not be the first to send us your thoughts, or debate this issue live on our message boards.
We are no longer accepting comments on this article.